I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Friday, May 17, 2013

The Yankee Chef: Feel Good Food for Every Kitchen

 The Yankee Chef: Feel Good Food for Every Kitchen

I'm starting out by saying that I'm NOT from the Northeast. My genes are decidedly Western, so I was a bit biased against this cookbook. I mainly picked it up because I wanted a great "authentic" recipe for Boston Baked Beans.
I will now eat crow (which is NOT a dish from the Northeast!).
This fabulous cookbook had me raising my eyebrows (in delight!) at the recipes ... recipes that I will actually cook! The Bread chapter alone is worth investing in this book. Pumpernickel Bread, Old Maine Black Bread! Oh, so many recipes!
The Breakfast chapter is also quite amazing. Strawberry Muffins, Apple Struesel Muffins, New England Popovers, Overnight Banana French Toast!
There are even separate chapters for "Cakes, Cookies and Confections," "Desserts," and "Pies"!!
"Of course," I think to myself, "They are completely different food groups!"
The book isn't overly laden with photographs - but the layout and design is quite pleasing to the eye and easy to read. There are nice side notes quoting old recipes from the "old days," which makes an interesting read.
This cookbook is not for beginners, though. Basic cooking techniques are required and assumed to be common knowledge. But if you are a semi-educated cook, the recipes are simple and easy to follow.
There is even a handy Common Ingredient Conversions table at the back as well - so if you don't have a 2-inch vanilla bean, you know you can use 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
Oh, and I DID find a pretty simple recipe for my Boston Baked Beans. My life is complete.

Thank you NetGalley and Schiffer Books for the galley copy. I wish I could keep it forever. In fact, I may just buy this book to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment