I hate spending time reading about the plot of a book on review sites - just tell me, Did you like it or not?

Monday, September 2, 2013

Pandemonium

Pandemonium (Delirium #2)

by

2 stars


375 pages
Published Feb. 28, 2012 by HarperTeen 
 
 
So I'm totally bugged by this book. And the more I think about it, the more I'm bugged!

Where should I start? Let's start with the writing. Writing was OK - but the "Then" and "Now" gimmick for each chapter was unnecessary and detracted from the flow of the story. Why not go with a traditional plot arrangement, where this happens first, then this, then that. Some stories are meant for plot jumping. This was NOT one of them.

Bug #2: Love triangle - you knew the whole book it was going to happen. I had even predicted (correctly) what the very last word in the book was going to be. There was no forethought, no twist, no creativity in this. The love triangle thing is overdone. Since Twilight, authors have been dividing their readers into "teams." Team Edward, Team Jacob, Team Alex, Team Julian. Get creative, authors! Do something different! Create tension some other way!

Bug #3: The finale of the book (they're in the hospital), was too easy, too convenient, too lacking. I'd give details away, but I won't. When you read it, you'll know. Scene development is important.
Anyway, despite all the bugginess, I did finish the book, which is why I gave it 2 stars (meaning "it was OK"). I'm not sure I'm going to read the next in the series. There are so many other books out there that are more worthy of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment